Use email services like Gmail, Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird or an app like Yahoo mail on…
Gmail user can access their email account over the official website or by using first and third party app available over the internet. In the following guide, how the emails or messages are being accessed through a third-party app is discussed in details. We will be covering some basic definitions to make people aware of the settings that are supposed to be made to access the messages.
What is IMAP?
IMAP in simple words is a protocol that helps to read the messages of Google Gmail in other mail platforms like Outlook, Apple Mail. This way you can read Gmail information on other devices where both messages and folders are synced in real time.
For accessing online folders and incoming messages while setting up the device, you need to have Gmail IMAP Settings in every email program. It includes:
Incoming Mail (IMAP) Settings
The following settings are required for your specific device when you need to receive Gmail messages on other devices:
- Gmail IMAP server address: imap.gmail.com
- Gmail IMAP username: Your full Gmail address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gmail IMAP password: Your Gmail password
- Use an application specific Gmail Password if you have enabled the 2-step application for Gmail.
- Gmail IMAP port: 993
- Gmail IMAP TLS/SSL required: Yes
Note- IMAP must be enabled in Gmail on your web.
What is SMTP?
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. This protocol functionality is just opposite to IMAP protocol i.e it helps to send mail via Gmail from any email services. Enter the following default configuration settings :
- Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
- Gmail SMTP username: Your full Gmail address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
- Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
- Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465
- Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: Yes
If you are Outlook user where you manage the emails and need to manage Gmail as well, you are allowed to do this here. You can easily set up Gmail in Outlook account to synchronize email on various devices with email users. In this context, we will show you how to use IMAP settings for Gmail account that helps it to synchronize your account on different devices and then we will explain how to add Gmail on the third-party application like Outlook. Let’s get started:
How to setup Gmail Account via IMAP settings?
Following the below-given steps, you can Set up Gmail Account. Go ahead and apply the steps:
- Start with signing in the Gmail account and jump to mail.
- Navigate to the upper right corner of the window and click on “settings” icon.
- After clicking on the icon, select settings from the drop down bar.
- Tap “Forwarding POP/IMAP” option on the Setting page.
- Next, roll down to the “IMAP Access” section and click on “Enable IMAP“.
- Lastly, click on ‘Save changes’ located at the bottom of the screen.
This way you can easily set up your Gmail through IMAP. If by any chance you fail to understand any step, you may connect to our experts for getting a proper resolution to all your queries.
Note– Turn on 2-step verification and if not visit Google Less secure app page, log in your Gmail account if asked and then turn on access for less secure apps.
Know How to add Gmail to Microsoft Outlook?
- Open Outlook and navigate to the File tab.
- Go to the Account Information screen, tap on Add Account.
- In Add Account, you are allowed to choose email Account option which automatically sets up your Gmail account to Outlook. For this, you need to enter details like your name, email address and password for Gmail account twice.
- The progress report will be displayed on the screen.
- If Automatic process fails, select Manual setup instead of E-mail Account and click ‘Next’.
- ‘Choose Service Screen’ will appear, select POP or IMAP.
- Click ‘Next’
- For POP and IMAP setting: Enter user, server and Login information.
- For Server Settings: pick IMAP from drop-down Account type list.
Type the following for both incoming and outgoing server details:
- Incoming mail server: imap.googlemail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com
- You need to enter full address and select Remember password if you want to automatically log in to your account.
- Next, click more settings located on the bottom right corner.
- Go to Internet E-mail Setting box, click Outgoing server tab
- Select the ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication‘ and then choose ‘Use same settings as my incoming mail server’.
If you are still on Internet Email setting dialogue box, select the Advanced tab and mention the following details.
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
Remember- For outgoing server, you need to select an encrypted connection before mentioning Outgoing server port number.
Troubleshooting steps if you are unable to setup with Outlook
If you face trouble while setting up a Gmail account with third-party application say Outlook-like receiving error messages then you need to follow the below steps:
- Enable two-factor Authentication for the account.
- Enable “allow less secure apps” if it is disabled.
- Choose or go for a different
Summary- This article consists of Gmail IMAP setting information and its troubleshooting steps.
Also Read, How to Change Phone Number on Gmail?